Saturday, October 10, 2009

Off Beat - I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow


I just loved this movie, particularly the soundtrack. For me, one of the musical highlights of the film was George Clooney performing I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow with his two cronies who as a trio called themselves the Soggy Bottom Boys...








The song is a traditional American folk song first recorded in the early 1900s. In O Brother Where Art Thou the Soggy Bottom Boys are actually Alison Krauss and Union Station, more specifically group member Dan Tyminski.

The song was a hit in the movie for the Soggy Bottom Boys and in real life receiving the CMA for single of the year and a Grammy.









The song has been covered by hundreds of artists including Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Waylon Jennings, Rod Stewart, Denny Laine, Jerry Garcia and The Dillards.
And it was covered by Bob Dylan on his self-titled first album from 1962.

Here, Dylan performs the song on his first televised appearance in 1963.







2 comments:

  1. This here blog is just full of hits!

    O Brother, Where Art Thou? is on my Top Ten movies list. Here's a bit from one of my favorite scenes......

    "Do not seek the treasure."
    "We thought you was a toad."

    I agree, the soundtrack is also phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me-Me: Glad you enjoy the blog Me-Me. Yeah, I just love this film from the Coen brothers. And the soundtrack, which won a Grammy for best album, is a big part of it.

    ReplyDelete